Smart Site Structure for Seo

• Search engines are still one of the most important sources of traffic for websites, which is why Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is incredibly important. While SEO is often thought of as just a bunch of technical tricks – and as an SEO professional, I confess that I spend a lot of time with clients fixing technical issues – site structure is just as important. Your site's structure determines whether a search engine understands what your site is about and how easily it will find and index content that is relevant to your site's purpose and intent. When creating a good site structure , you can use the content you have written that has attracted links from other sites in your site structure to spread some of that “link juice” to the other pages on your site.

On a commercial website, this means you can use the quality content you've written to improve your sales pages' ranking in search engines as well (Google, Bing, Yahoo and etc). Did I get your attention now? Okay, now that we've figured out the what and why, let's get to the how. Develop a good website structure When executive list developing a new site, or restructuring an existing one, it helps if you plan the site structure in Excel (or Visio). But unfortunately most developers don't plan the structure of a website before starting development itself and do something similar to what is shown in Figure 1 (based on the website of an old agency I worked for): Figure 1: A typical site structure Now, as you can see this structure is lopsided, with the “Projects” section making up more than half of the entire site.

executive list copy.jpg

Make sure your website structure looks like a reasonably balanced pyramid. I recommend that you have anywhere from 2 to 7 main sections, depending on how content heavy your site is, and no section should be more than twice the size of any other section. In addition to the “Projects” section being very large, there are a few more points to consider about Figure 1. First, there are three pages that are basically about who we are: “About Us”, “Projects” and “Sites” and when checking the site stats, I found out which pages on the site accounted for about 30% of the traffic, but were in the third and fourth tiers. The benefit of using a tool like Visio or Excel, as I did, is that it's very easy to rearrange things, and it's easy to get a good "feel" as to whether the new structure will work.